Prince Harry And Meghan Want Financial Independence
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Duke and Duchess of Sussex, announced on Wednesday their intention “to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family, and work to become financially independent”. British media and sources state that the Royal Family was said to be “hurt” at the couple’s statement. Palace sources have told BBC royal correspondent Jonny Dymond that Prince Harry and Meghan did not consult any other royal about making their personal statement. The decision came “after many months of reflection and internal discussions”, they added.
In a statement issued just hours after the couple put out an Instagram post, Buckingham Palace said the situation was ‘complicated’. “Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage,” the unsigned Royal Communications statement said. The officials will work together “at pace” with the UK government and the Sussex household to find “workable solutions” within days, the sources said.
The Duke and Duchess also released a new and updated version of their website indicating some of their vision for the future, post their announcement. They are taking a drastically different approach to their media coverage going forward. And it is a huge snub to certain outlets, some of whom they happen to be suing.
The duke and duchess have had a difficult relationship with British media. In October last year, the couple announced that Meghan was suing the Mail on Sunday newspaper, alleging it had illegally published a private letter to her father — a claim the newspaper denies.
Harry had also previously commented that it was this kind of invasive coverage that played a role in his mother’s death, so this move is highly symbolic for the couple — not to mention a huge change for the Royal Family.